Friday 3 March 2017

Welcome to my weekly blog, Friday Feelings!

Last week, the focus of attention was on Forgiveness in the ancient Hawaiian healing practice of Ho'oponopono:                          

a) I forgive you; b) I'm sorry; c) I love you; d) Thank you. 

Let's have a look at the others:

When we say I am sorry, we still create separation between you and me. Furthermore, the focus seems to be on me and not you! Isn't that odd?                              
Of course, what we are really trying to say is: will you forgive me? But the focus is still on me, not on you, the person I hurt.  When Dr Len said I'm sorry in his Ho'opnopono practice, he was expressing empathetic awareness of that part of himself responsible for the unconscious actions of his patients.
Your reflection is clearly you.
Even though the words are I am sorry, there was no separation of  'I' and 'You' in the feeling. (Remember, he never even saw his patients J)

I love you.  Those pronouns again!  (I &You)                                                
These days, we are told not to be afraid to say I love you more often.         
But is that correct?                                                             
Why do people need to say I love you if the love is already there? And if they have to say it, or if it's expected of them to say it more often to a partner or a family member, does it not suggest that there may be an element of doubt? L

But, I hear you plead, people like to be reassured that they are loved! With words?  Isn't that a bit facile? Surely, there should be no reason for having to say I love you if the love is already there. The unconditional love. After all, there is no other kind of love except unconditional love.  Would you not agree?

So, what do I think Dr Len meant when he said, I love you?  Clearly, he was expressing universal compassion for his patients and, of course, for himself, agape, the ancient Greek word for spiritual love, or unconditional love. (I choose to translate agape as lOve, in writing, at least (capital O); it's a noun and a verb! J )

As far as romantic love is concerned, by the way, if you can fall out of love as quickly as you can fall in love, the love in question can never have been real, or unconditional, love to begin with! Can it? K

Thank you is powerful when it's said with the energy of feeling behind it. What or whom was Dr Len thanking?  I believe he was thanking the universe, thanking life for being what it is, in all its uniqueness and abundance. Thanking is like giving, you give thanks.  In giving thanks, you release yourself from your ego and let the universe back onto the driving seat. That's why it's so liberating to be thankful, for everything, no matter what your circumstances are in life.

Well, that's what I feel anyway, this wet Friday.

What do YOU think?


No comments:

Post a Comment